A Step-By-Step
Guide for

If you’re a veteran looking to start a career in cybersecurity, follow this step-by-step guide to make sure you have access to available resources and assistance. We’re here to help

1. Sign Up for Veterans Educational Benefits

  • Apply for benefits on the government website
  • If you have used VA education benefits at a previous college, submit a "Change of School" form

Once your application has been processed, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will send you a "Certificate of Eligibility" (COE) via U.S. Mail. You will need both of these to complete the next steps. Bring both your COE and DD214 to your first counseling appointment.

Get Started Here  button image

2. Become a Merritt College Student

  • Apply to be a Merritt College student
  • You will get a confirmation email congratulating you on joining Merritt College.
  • This "Welcome email" contains instructions on how to create a password-protected account in Passport. "Passport" is the electronic system we use to add and drop classes, view your grades, etc. In Passport, you will be assigned a Student ID number. Bring both your student ID number and your password to your first counseling appointment.
  • If you have trouble with any of the above steps, you can get help in the Merritt College Welcome Center, Bldg R, Room 105, during regular business hours (M-F 8:30-4:30). Our Student Services Specialist works closely with our student veterans and can answer your questions.
  • Email Student Services Specialist  button image

3. Complete the "New Students Enrollment" Steps

  • Get to Know Merritt College Via Online Orientation
  • IMPORTANT: at the end of the online orientation, you're given an option to print a Certificate of Completion. Print and bring this certificate to your first counseling appointment. If you don't have access to a printer, you can use the student computers in R-105 to log back in and print it.

  • Find your starting point in English and Math
  • Bring one of the following to your first counseling appointment:

    • High school transcript showing English and Math grades and/or
    • Transcript(s) from previous college(s) showing English and Math grades
    • For advising purposes, unofficial copies of transcripts are fine. However, if you plan to get a degree from Merritt or transfer from Merritt to a four-year college, we need to collect official copies of your transcripts during your first semester.

  • Student Education Plan (SEP)
  • Make a Veterans Counseling appointment by either calling the college or coming in person to R-109. Always tell them you're in the Veterans Program. Bring the following to your first Veterans Counseling appointment:

    • DD214
    • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
    • Transcripts from all previous colleges, if any
    • If this is your first college experience, bring high school transcript
    • Peralta Student ID number
    • Online Orientation Certificate of Completion
    • Your Passport ID and password (so that you can enroll)

  • Enroll in Class
  • Once you have your SEP, sit at the computers in R-105 (or use your own laptop) to enroll in the courses specified in your SEP. We have Peer Advisors to walk you through the enrollment process.

  • Get Your Classes VA-Certified
    • Print your class schedule
    • Complete a Certification Enrollment Form to activate your benefits. You can get these forms from Veterans Services in R-105.